11 Years On, Umar Qayoom’s Family Awaits Justice

by Nida Mehraj

SRINAGAR: The family of Umar Qayoom Bhat, a youth who according to his father died after being tortured ruthlessly by the police in 2010, Wednesday said that the police is yet to file a charge sheet against police personnel involved in the matter.

Father and the sister of the Umar Qayoom Bhat staged a peaceful protest at Press Enclave Srinagar on Wednesday August 25,2021. KL Image by Bilal Bahadur

The father and the sister of the Umar staged a peaceful protest at Press Enclave Srinagar and urged the authorities to file the charge sheet.

Abdul Qayoom, father of Umar Bhat said that three years ago police had lodged an FIR after eight years.

Qayoom said that on Friday, August 20, 2010, after prayers, the protest was going on in the area and that while Umar was returning home after prayers, forces caught hold on him and he was beaten up mercilessly and they later dragged him to the nearby police post.

Qayoom said that the condition of his son worsened during detention and that the repeated plea for his release was out rightly rejected by the police officials. “I requested them that the condition of my son is worsening and he his spitting blood from mouth but no heed was paid to my pleas.”

He further said that on the very next day he got the bail for his son’s release and immediately shifted him to hospital.   “The Doctors there, due to unknown reasons, discharged Umar from the hospital .On the next day when his condition got worsened; I rushed him to the hospital again where Doctors revealed that my son is 80 percent dead. They later putted him on the ventilator.”

He said his son Umar died in the hospital on August 25, 2010. After the death of Umer, they approached to Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM), JK State Human Rights Commission, National Human Rights Commission of India, and JK grievance cell but nothing happened on the ground.

“The court had earlier given 42 days to police to present in the court with those involved in the crime but neither they appeared nor any action was taken,” he said.

The sister of Umar, Urzeeba said, “We don’t need any kind of compensation but justice. We have celebrated Eid the first time after our family member’s death when we got the FIR for the first time,”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here