12th anniversary of Doodhipora ‘carnage’: JKCCS rues snail’s pace investigation

Srinagar

Jammu Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society (JKCCS) on Thursday said that the investigation into the Doodhipora ‘carnage’ has not been completed for the last12 years.

“The case is still pending before the High Court,” JKCCS in a statement said in connection with the 12th death anniversary of Doodhipora ‘carnage’.

“Despite the nominal role of the army, the investigation is still in progress for the last twelve years,” the group said.

On Thursday, the statement said, the victim families assembled at a local graveyard to pay obeisance to their children killed on this day in 2006 by the army.

“The commemoration was held by the parents of the four youth to reiterate their demand for justice. The parents of the victims resolve to continue their struggle till the justice is not delivered to them. They also highlighted the failures of the government in delivering justice to the families,” JKCCS said.

“In the last year, the last status report filed before the high court, the SP Handwara had stated that four officers of 33 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) were identified heading by Captain Nitin Dutta @ Rambo out of which one Subedar Barkha Raj has retired from the army and is living somewhere in Nepal.

“On 22nd February 2006, four persons including 2 minors were allegedly killed by the troops of 33 RR while they were playing cricket in Dodhipora, Handwara of district Kupwara in north Kashmir about 95 Kilometres away from Srinagar. The deceased persons were identified as Ghulam Hassan Bhat (18) son of Ghulam Rasool Bhat, Mohammad Aamir Hajam (09) son of Mohammad Akbar Hiram, Shakir Ahmad Wani (07) son of Ghulam Hassan Wani and Abdul Samad Mir (21) son of Mohammad Ahsan Mir. All of them were the residents of Dodhipora village. The then Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad ordered a judicial inquiry into the incident.”

(The photograph used in this story is representational).

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here