BOPEE scam: Court declares 14 accused as proclaimed offenders

KL Report

SRINAGAR

A city court on Wednesday declared 14 accused including six student involved in the Board of Professional Entrance Examination (BOPEE) paper leak scam of 2012 as proclaimed offenders. Sources said that if they fail to appear before the April 24 as has been directed by the court, their properties can be attached by the Crime Branch.

Notice to this effect has been issued by the court and the matter has been listed for hearing on April 24. It may be recalled that the High Court had also directed the Crime Branch to use its tools to arrest the absconding student beneficiaries involved in the scam.

On March 1, the Crime Branch had filed supplementary charge sheet against 19 accused in CET—2012 paper leak scam. This charge sheet against 19 accused included six students and nine parents of students who allegedly benefited out of the paper leak scam in 2012.

The 19 accused against whom the supplementary charge sheet was filed also included Mushtaq Ahmad Baqaal, alias Pir the former Chairman BOPEE, Sajad Ahmad and Haroon.

The Crime Branch later filed a supplementary charge sheet against three more students in a juvenile court. On February 22, the anti corruption court here had rejected bail applications of all the accused including Mushtaq Pir, former chairman BOPEE so far arrested in the matter.

On February 17, in compliance to the high court directions, the BOPEE cancelled admissions of 12 students who had allegedly purchased papers prior to the conduct of CET in 2012. The admissions of the 12 beneficiary students were cancelled as their names surface in the Crime Branch list of students who secured admissions in government medical college here after purchasing the CET question papers two years ago.

Six of them are presently lodged in Central Jail here while fresh arrest warrants have been issued against three others—two  of them girls—by the Court.  The three remaining beneficiaries are minors (below 18-years of age) and they have been lodged in juvenile home, sources in crime branch had said.  The High Court had earlier censured BOPEE for its ‘snail pace’ shown in prerequisite legal formalities for cancellation of admissions of tainted candidates. The court had said that nobody would be allowed to reap fruits of   CET-2012paper leak scam. Since the high court is scheduled to hear the matter on Tuesday, the BOPEE filed its status report informing the court about cancellation of admissions. (KNS)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here