This document is the army version of the happenings in the Bumai village near Sopore where soldiers of 22-RR killed two youth on February 21, 2009. It is part of the records (Annexure-A to the magisterial inquiry report) after it was submitted to the Deputy Commissioner Baramulla who conducted a magisterial inquiry into the twin murders. Police have already completed their investigations and identified the soldiers but is awaiting a formal sanction for prosecution.
BUMAI INCIDENT: FACTS OF THE CASE
1. Information was being regularly received regarding move of terrorists in the area of Tujar and Bumai and on 21 February 09 intelligence sources gave, information regarding presence of two terrorists in a specific house in the outskirts of village Tujar.
2. At approximately 1745 hours two parties of strength one Officer, one junior commissioned officer an eighteen other ranks ex Bumai company and strength one officer and nine other ranks ex Zalurah company both of 22 Rashtriya Rifles, moved to establish cordon around the suspected house. At approximately 1755 hours the follow up party comprising of one junior commissioned officer and nine other ranks was about to move out of Bumai post towards Tujar when a civilian, who later identified as Mr. Javed Ahmad Zargar resident of Behrampura got down from a bus moving from Tujar to Bumai at Sentry post of the Bumai company and alerted the sentries regarding the presence of terrorists in the bus.
3. The follow up party from Bumai company immediately moved out and followed the bus. The bus stopped at Bumai Chowk and own party stopped 100 meters short of the bus. Mr Javed Ahmad Zargar alerted own party regarding the presence of terrorists amongst a group of civilians standing on either side of the road. The scouts immediately got down from the vehicle and asked the civilians to lift their phirens to identify the persons carrying arms under phiren.
4. When the civilians were asked to lift up phirens, a terrorist standing on the right side (south) of the road amongst the crowd opened fire on the scouts. However, the fire of the terrorist hit a civilian standing on the opposite side (north) of the road, critically injuring him. In the resultant crossfire two more civilians were injured and in the melee the terrorists managed to escape towards Nathipura.
5. The Junior Commissioned Officer immediately stopped a TATA Sumo coming from Tujar for evacuation of the three civilians who were injured. The party then withdrew to the post.
6. The company commander in the meanwhile on hearing about the firing rushed to the company post from Tujar to take stock of the situation. At approximately 1845 hours information of presence of two terrorists at Nathipura village was received from STF Sopore. A cordon was accordingly laid at Nathipura alongwith STF Sopore after redeployment of the troops from Tujar.
7. ASI Ramzan of Police Post Bumai who was returning from Tujar came to the Bumai post and reported seeing two terrorists running towards village Nathipura. The terrorists were reportedly wearing combat fatigue under phiren.
HQ 5 Sector RR
Dated: 26 February 2009