The Centre is all set to extend the nationwide lockdown by another two weeks even as the number of Coronavirus cases in India continues to rise, government sources said on Saturday, reported Outlook.
Earlier in the day, in a video conference call with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, most of the chief ministers sought an extension of the nationwide lockdown, following which the request was being considered, sources said. The formal announcement of the extension is expected soon.
Puducherry CM Narayanasamy said the prime minister agreed to the request made by almost all the chief ministers, saying the continuation of lockdown was a must.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said extending the lockdown was the correct measure. “Today, India’s position is better than many developed countries because we started lockdown early. If it is stopped now, all gains would be lost. To consolidate, it is imp to extend,” he tweeted.
Karnataka CM BS Yediyurappa said the prime minister told chief ministers that no compromise should be made during the lockdown, adding the government will announce the guideline for the next 15 days soon.
India registered its sharpest ever increase in the number of Coronavirus cases and deaths over the past 24 hours. At least 40 people died and 1035 new cases were reported since Friday. India’s total number of COVID-19 positive cases have crossed 7,447, the government said.
More than 1.6 million people have been infected around the world and the death toll hit 100,661 on Friday — nearly 70 per cent in hard-hit Europe, reported Outlook.