CM Omar Abdullah Announces Memorial for Baisaran Attack Victims

   

SRINAGAR: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today announced the establishment of a memorial to honour the 26 victims of last month’s terror attack at Baisaran near Pahalgam.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

“We have discussed this from day one. A memorial will be set up in Baisaran for the 26 lives lost, as a lasting tribute and a reminder that they will never be forgotten,” the Chief Minister said.

Cabinet Ministers on Oath Taking Ceremony of CM Omar Abdullah on October 16, 2024

While addressing a gathering of travel and tour operators from across the country, the Chief Minister stressed the importance of reviving tourism in Jammu and Kashmir. “In today’s cabinet meeting held here in Pahalgam, the Public Works Department was given in-principle approval to proceed with the memorial,” he said.

He added that public suggestions would be welcomed to ensure the memorial is dignified and respectful.

Expressing gratitude to the visiting tour operators, the Chief Minister said, “I thank each one of you for coming to Pahalgam and supporting the revival of tourism. I recognise many of you as those who helped restart tourism in the Valley during difficult times — when even locals hesitated to step out.”

He recalled the early 1990s, when groups from Mumbai and Gujarat helped restart tourism in the Valley. “They brought it back to life — until the events of April 22. No matter how strongly we condemn what happened that day, it will never be enough. We lack the words to comfort the families of those 26 victims. We can only bow our heads in their memory.”

While acknowledging the security challenges, Omar Abdullah said strict measures were needed. “Although we do not fully control the security apparatus, I believe what happened should never have happened. We must do everything possible to ensure it does not happen again.”

Speaking on the reopening of tourist destinations after the Baisaran incident, he called for transparency in communication with tourists. “Let us not focus on what is closed, but on what is open. It is better to speak the truth than risk misleading visitors.”

He added, “The process of reopening will begin in phases in the coming days. I visited Betaab Valley myself to assess the situation and build confidence. Not all destinations will reopen at once, but some will gradually become accessible.”

The Chief Minister assured that tour operators would be consulted throughout the process. “Together with the administration, we will ensure that destinations reopen responsibly and on time.”

On international tourism, he said, “In our experience, international tourists arrive after domestic tourism starts recovering. The first sign of normalcy is when schoolchildren and domestic visitors return to picnic spots. Once this happens, international bookings will follow. While global promotion must continue, a strong domestic focus will build the right momentum.”

Reaffirming his belief in the revival process, he said, “We have come a long way. What happened, happened. But with your commitment, I am certain we will recover and move forward.”

He acknowledged existing gaps and assured that these would be addressed. “We are aware of the issues and we will act on them.”

Tour operators who interacted with the Chief Minister represented various travel firms and associations, including Raja Rani Travels, Pooja Travels, Heena Travels, Veena World, Off Beat Destinations, KK Tours, Jai Mata Di Travels, Arihant Travels, Madhuchanda Travels, TAFI, Kass Travels, ADTOI, Beckon Tours Pvt Ltd, Trans Global Travels, SHR Harshil Travels (representing OTOAI), Golden Tours (under ETAA), Ajay Modi Travels (Gujarat), Travel Munk (Jain Travel Associations), Thomas Cook, Tamarind, Kraft Vacations, and Travel Lounge.

Delegates from national print and electronic media also attended the session, along with local tour operators, hoteliers, and tourism stakeholders.

Present during the session were former Chief Minister Dr Farooq Abdullah, Advisor to the CM Nasir Aslam Wani, MLAs from Pahalgam and Bijbehara, the Director of Tourism, the MD of JKTDC, and other senior officials.

Earlier in the day, the Chief Minister chaired a cabinet meeting in Pahalgam. He described it as more than a routine session of the Council of Ministers, calling it a strong message against terrorism. “The enemies of peace will not weaken our resolve. Jammu and Kashmir stands firm, united, and unafraid.”

The Chief Minister also met local delegations led by the MLA of Pahalgam. “Valuable insights were shared about local issues and concerns. The support given by locals during the recent tragedy, to both tourists and the administration — was commendable,” he said.

He visited Nunwan Base Camp to review preparations for the Amarnath Yatra, interacted with officials on the ground, and stressed the need for coordination to ensure the safety and comfort of pilgrims.

The visit to Betaab Valley was followed by a brief cycling tour by the Chief Minister from a local hotel to Nunwan Base Camp and back. This was aimed at promoting new initiatives by the Tourism Department for sustainable and eco-tourism, a message strongly supported by Omar Abdullah, who also holds the Tourism portfolio in JK.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here