SRINAGAR: As Hajj-2025 flight operations are set to resume, disruptions in air travel due to airport closures have left at least 2,240 pilgrims from Jammu and Kashmir stranded. This has prompted the JK Haj Committee to consider operating additional flights to clear the backlog.
Executive Officer of the Haj Committee, Dr Shujhat Qureshi, said that while pilgrims scheduled to depart on May 14 and 15 will travel as planned, efforts are underway to accommodate those unable to fly earlier due to the situation.
“The ones scheduled will go first. Those who could not travel earlier will be accommodated if an additional flight is arranged,” Dr Qureshi said.
The Hajj flight from Srinagar, originally slated for May 7 with 320 pilgrims onboard, was cancelled following airspace disruptions amid rising tensions between India and Pakistan. Since then, flights have been cancelled daily, with the most recent cancellation on May 12.
According to official data, a total of 2,240 pilgrims are currently awaiting rebooking after their flights were cancelled over the past week. The Committee is in talks with relevant agencies to arrange special flights to clear the backlog.
The disruptions have caused anxiety among intending pilgrims and their families. Meanwhile, the JK Haj Committee has assured that all affected pilgrims will be accommodated once logistical arrangements are finalised. (KNO)















