Militants in Jammu outskirts Friday carried out a deadly attack on an artillery base resulting in the killing of three militants, two civilians including a driver and injuring six others.
Meanwhile, in a telephonic statement to KNS a militant outfit- Al-Shuhada brigade claimed responsibility of the twin attacks at Jammu outskirts. Outfit’s spokesman Sami-ul-Haq said that three militants from the brigade carried out the Jammu attack.
Reports said that militants took control of a passenger vehicle-a half open bolero bearing number JK21A-7670 and took driver namely Tarseen Singh along with them. The vehicle drove away 20kms from the initial firing spot and then attacked an army artillery base at Dayalchak.
Reports stated that the driver identified as Tarseen Singh was found dead in his vehicle. Gun battle erupted in the area that injured one army personnel. The area reverberated with the thuds of the gunshots being fired from both the sides. The militants later took refuge in nearby dense forests. Police reports stated that an intense search operation have been launched to track down militants. Surveillance choppers have also been pressed into service.
The manhunt was on while the last report came in. The reports confirmed said that all the three militants have been killed and that the firing from the militant’s side has stopped.
The injured civilians have been shifted to Government Medical College Jammu for treatment. Jammu-Punjab border has been sealed and heavy deployment of security was made at various places.
The Director General of Police (DGP) Ashok Prasad said that the body of the third militant was recovered from the encounter side and the firing has been stopped. Giving the details of the gun- battle, Prasad said that one civilian got killed in the initial firing identified as Ajit Ram of Vijay Pur. He added that a driver of the half open bolero vehicle was also found dead. “It can be a fresh attempt of the militants- nothing can be said as the investigation is on.”
When asked about any links between the fresh attacks and the ensuing elections, DGP stated that police has kept the threat level same as that of previous elections. “Since three militants have got killed, we will have to invoke other investigation methods to come to come to some conclusion.”
Pertinently, militants earlier had carried out the similar attack on forces September 26 last year in the area. Eleven people including five policemen, a civilian, two army men, including a major, and three militants were killed during the attack at that time.