Pattan youth laid to rest, authorities order closure of several educational institutions



Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

Body of 23-year old youth who died in SKIMS Soura late Wednesday night after battling for life for three days buried in his native village at Chanabal area of Pattan in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district today pre-dawn hours.

Reports said that the body of slain Arshid Ahmad Dar (23) son of Ghulam Mohammad Dar was buried in his native village at Chanabal at around 2:45 am even as authorities have ordered imposition of curfew-like restrictions in parts of Baramulla and Bandipora including Mirgund, Hanjiwara and Chanabal villages.

A police officer told news agency GNS that besides restrictions in Mirgund, Hanjivera and Chanabal, curbs will remain enforced on public movement in Sumbal tehsil including Inderkoot, Shadipora, Panzinara, Shilvat and other rural areas.

“Schools and Colleges in that area will be closed. Emergency movements are exempted,” the officer said.

Meanwhile, authorities have ordered the closure of colleges and schools in other parts of Valley.

The educational institutions where class work will remain suspended for today include Government Degree College Ganderbal, Government Degree College Boys, Woman Kupwara, Government Degree College Boys Handwara, Sogam, Government Higher Secondary School Boys and Girls Handwara, Government Higher Secondary School Boys Langate and Kupwara, Government Degree College Boys and Woman Baramulla, Government Higher Secondary School Boys and Girls Baramulla, Government Degree College Sopore, Government Higher Secondary School Boys and Girls Sopore and in Government Higher Secondary School Khoie, Dangerpora.

The authorities also have ordered the suspension of classwork in all higher secondary schools and colleges of Srinagar district.

Meanwhile, the internet speed has been reduced in parts of Kashmir including Budgam, Sopore, Baramulla, Pattan and Srinagar.

A senior government official said that the steps to close the educational institutions and imposition of restrictions were taken in view of the prevailing situation and as precautionary measures to maintain law and order.

Arshid breathed his last at SKIMS late Wednesday night where he was admitted after being shifted from JVC Bemina for specialized treatment.

Arshid according to doctors had multiple injuries including on his skull and both eyes.

Arshid along with hundreds of people took to streets at Chanabal on early Monday to protest against alleged rape of a minor girl at Malikpora Sumbal in north Kashmir’s Bandipora district on May 8.

Police and government forces, deployed in strength resorted to teargas shelling and other means of force to quell the protesters. (GNS)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here