Post Gowhar killing, Kangan had an almost incident free day


SRINAGAR: Barring flash mobs attempting clashes in the periphery, Kangan remained peaceful under curfew as the mourning of Gowhar Rather continued. Rather was declared dead by the SKIMS late last night and was buried during the night.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

In a quick action to the killing and prevent the situation from deteriorating further, the government announced a magisterial investigation. It also “detained” a police head constable who is “alleged” to have opened his service weapon and fired at Rather.

“We have registered an FIR against the man and detained him,” a police officer said. “Investigations will prove his capability.”

Gulzar Ahmad, the head constable, who was driving the vehicle of the DySP, is reported to have used his service weapon. He had officially been given a pistol, reports said. His involvement was pinpointed by the locals and on basis of the application; a case has been registered against him.

“Consequent upon his prima facia involvement in case FIR No. 18/2018 u/s 307 RPC Selection Grade Constable Gulzar Ahmad (belt no. 422/Gbl) is hereby placed under suspension with immediate effect, pending enquiry,” reads an order issued by the SSP.

The police have already ordered a departmental inquiry into Gowhar’s killing to be headed by DIG central Kashmir. Separately the district administration has ordered the magisterial inquiry to be completed within 20-days.

Kangan landed in a crisis on Tuesday after a flash mob resorted to stone pelting. It was during this incident that seven persons were injured. While most of them were treated locally, two of them, including Gawhar Rather were shifted to Srinagar, where he was put on a ventilator. He died later Tuesday.

Police initially maintained that he fell down in the chase and was injured near the drain. However, family sources said the CT Scan identified some foreign objects in his brain. Rather had a wound near his ear and huge swelling of one of his eyes.

Though the locals were keen that they lay him to rest on Wednesday morning, the government convinced them that it should not become a factor adding to the tensions. Rather was laid to rest during the night only.

Mian Altaf Ahmad, the NC MLA who represents the constituency in the state assembly said the government actions must help get the family justice. “This boy had no record of subversion, he was not a militant, still he was killed in cold blood,” Mian said. “Now the government must immediately arrest the culprits and get the family justice.” He demanded that the family must get a Rs 10 lakh compensation and a government job to his brother, at the earliest.

Mian hoped that the other young man who is admitted to the SKIMS receives early. “I talked to the SKIMS director and he said the patient is responding positively to the treatment,” Man said.

Speaking from Kangan, a police officer said the situation is cooling and there is a possibility of normal life on Thursday. “The administration will meet in the evening and decide about schools and other things for tomorrow,” he said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here