SRINAGAR: : United States President Donald Trump on Saturday said a “largely negotiated” memorandum of understanding aimed at ending the Iran war and reopening the Strait of Hormuz was close to completion, raising expectations of a possible breakthrough in the three-month-long conflict.
According to reports by Reuters and Associated Press, Trump said final details of the proposed arrangement were still being discussed and could be announced shortly.
“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
The proposed framework comes amid mounting international concern over the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global oil shipping route disrupted since the United States and Israel launched military operations against Iran in February.
Reuters reported that the draft framework under discussion could unfold in phases, including a formal end to hostilities, reopening of the strategic waterway and a subsequent negotiation window of 30 to 60 days on broader issues including Iran’s nuclear programme.
The report said the agreement under discussion could allow Iran to resume oil exports while the United States would ease its blockade on Iranian ports and consider sanctions waivers on Iranian oil sales.
US news outlet Axios, cited by Reuters, reported that the draft arrangement includes commitments by Iran not to pursue nuclear weapons and discussions on suspension of uranium enrichment and removal of highly enriched uranium stockpiles.
However, Reuters also quoted a senior Iranian source as saying there had been “no agreement” on handing over Iran’s highly enriched uranium stockpile and that nuclear issues were not part of the preliminary framework currently under discussion.
Iran has consistently maintained that its nuclear programme is for civilian purposes.
The Associated Press reported that Trump held consultations with leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan and Bahrain before announcing progress on the framework.
Pakistan has emerged as a key intermediary in recent weeks. AP reported that Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir held talks in Tehran as part of mediation efforts between Washington and Tehran.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif later praised Trump’s “extraordinary efforts to pursue peace” and described the consultations among regional leaders as “very useful and productive.”
Reuters reported that Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said differences had narrowed but important issues still remained unresolved.
“The trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes, but there are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators,” Baghaei said, according to Reuters.
The ongoing conflict began after US and Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28, targeting senior Iranian officials and military infrastructure. Since then, the closure of the Strait of Hormuz has severely disrupted global energy markets, pushing up fuel and shipping costs worldwide.

Reuters quoted the head of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company as saying full restoration of oil flows through the strait may not occur before 2027 even if the war ends immediately.
Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, during a visit to India, said substantial progress had been made in the past 48 hours and suggested that “good news” could emerge within hours regarding the negotiations.
Israeli politician Benny Gantz cautioned against accepting any arrangement that could weaken Israel’s security position, particularly in relation to Lebanon and the Iran-backed group Hezbollah.
Despite optimism surrounding the negotiations, officials quoted by Reuters and AP cautioned that last-minute disagreements could still derail the emerging framework.















