CIK Uncovers Encrypted Messaging Terror Network in Kashmir, 10 Held

   

SRINAGAR: Counter Intelligence Kashmir (CIK) of Jammu and Kashmir Police on Saturday carried out searches at ten locations across four districts of the Valley in connection with an ongoing investigation into a terror recruitment and financing network allegedly linked to Pakistan-based handlers.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

The searches were conducted in Budgam, Pulwama, Ganderbal, and Srinagar districts after the CIK obtained a search warrant from the Special Court designated under the NIA Act in Srinagar. The case pertains to FIR No. 07/2023 under sections 13, 18, 38, and 39 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, read with section 120-B of the IPC, registered at Police Station CIK Srinagar.

According to an official statement, the case involves the use of encrypted messaging applications by suspected individuals to coordinate with handlers across the border, including one identified as Abdullah Gazi, believed to be affiliated with Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM). These encrypted platforms are reportedly used for terror-related communications, recruitment, and funding.

CIK officials said that the investigation had revealed technical signatures linked to suspicious communication at the ten locations raided. During analysis, several individuals were found using a “specific encrypted messaging application” known to be favoured by terrorist groups for secure communications.

Authorities suspect that the handler Abdullah Gazi, operating from a known city in Pakistan, was in direct contact with local youth in Kashmir and was attempting to radicalise and recruit them. The statement also indicated that Gazi operates in close coordination with Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

The raids led to the seizure of a significant volume of digital devices and documents believed to be relevant to the case. Ten suspects have been rounded up so far. Further analysis of the data retrieved is underway and is expected to provide leads for the next phase of the investigation.

Officials said the operation is aimed at preventing youth from being recruited into terror outfits and at dismantling the support infrastructure in the Union Territory, including identifying Over Ground Workers (OGWs) and others aiding such networks. (JKNS)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here