Doctor Who Once Tested Negative For Covid-19, Dies Within a Week

SRINAGAR: A doctor who contracted Covid-19 and eventually tested negative died on Monday at SKIMS. He was identified as Dr Shabir Ahmad Malik, a resident of Sumbal.

ISM doctor Shabir Ahmad Malik who died within a week after testing negative for Covid-19 on July 28, 2020

Sources told Kashmir Life that Malik, an ISM doctor, was working for the directorate of ISM on a contract basis. Though he was basically working in the remote Gurez belt, he was deputed on contract tracing in remote Hajin – Sumbal belt, one of the earliest Covid-19 hotspots.

Dr Malik contracted the virus and was tested positive on July 4. He was admitted to the SKIMS on July 8, according to sources.

In the SKIMS, he underwent another Covid-19 test on July 10 and tested negative. The hospital retained him for few days and discharged him on July 15.

On Monday, July 27, Dr Malik developed symptoms of haemoptysis that coincided with the sudden fall in oxygen saturation. His SPO2 was measured to have fallen to 84 per cent. His X-ray showed bilateral pneumonia. He was rushed to the hospital where he was admitted. He died Tuesday morning.

Dr Malik is survived by two minor kids and a young wife. His wife Dr Shaista Naaz is also a medical officer (RBSK) with the NHM.

Dr Iftikhar, a senior officer from the ISM told Kashmir Life that his colleague died of Covid-19. “He contracted the virus earlier and was admitted to SKIMS wherefrom he was discharged,” he said. “There his condition deteriorated and finally was re-admitted and died today.”

An official of the SKIMS media cell said the name does not figure in the list of the people who died in the institute today. “I will check and call back,” he said. This report will be updated as and when the SKIMS tells anything on the subject.

Post Script

A spokesman of the SKIMS said the particular doctor was not admitted to SKIMS for the second time. “He might have passed away in any other hospital, not here,” he said. Reports said he actually died in SMHS hospital where he had been rushed last evening.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here