Jammu Kashmir Family Says No Support Received After Red Fort Blast Kills Sole Breadwinner

   

SRINAGAR: A marginalised Gujjar family in Baba Nagri has alleged that it has received no compensation or official assistance weeks after 28-year-old Bilal Ahmad Sangoo, a migrant labourer working in Delhi, was killed in the November 10 Red Fort blast, according to reports appearing in the media.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

Bilal, who had been working in Delhi for six years, was the only breadwinner for his elderly parents and younger brothers. His father, Ghulam Hassan Sangoo, told reporters that the family has been left “completely abandoned” since the tragedy.

Despite public announcements of compensation for victims, particularly the Rs 10 lakh ex gratia promised by Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta, the family says it has received no visit, no communication and no relief from the Delhi government, the Jammu and Kashmir administration, or the Government of India.

Instead, the family alleged they were forced to arrange everything on their own, from travel to Delhi for identification and hospital documentation to completing formalities and even arranging the coffin. With no savings, they had to borrow money to bring the body back home.

Local MLA Mian Mehar Ali, who represents Kangan, confirmed that the family had received little institutional support. He said, “Neighbours helped to bring the body from Delhi. I forwarded the papers to the Chief Minister’s Office, and I contributed as per my capacity.”

Media reports also note that the family struggled to find a burial space, a common issue for impoverished Gujjar households. With the local graveyard unable to accommodate them, Bilal was ultimately buried on a small patch of the family’s own land.

The family has also criticised the national media for overlooking the incident, noting that Bilal was the only Kashmiri among those killed but received little to no coverage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here