The killing of the local militant sparked protest, clashes and shutdown in South Kashmir’s Islamabad and Kulgam districts.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

One militant identified as Furrhan Ahmed Wani resident of Khudani was killed during an encounter between the government forces and militants in Larnoo Kokernag area of district Islamabad on Tuesday.

people carrying Farhan Wani’s funeral in Ghat Khudwani.KL image by Mukhtar Zahoor

Sources said forces received inputs about the presence of three Hizbul Mujahideen militants inside the forest in Larnoo Kokernag of Islamabad.

Women watch the funeral procession of Furhann Wani. KL Image by Mukhtar Zahoor

A joint team of Army, Special Operation Group, Central Reserve Police Force cordoned off the forest area of Larnoo on Tuesday early morning.

The search operation turned into the fierce gunfight resulting in the death of a militant Furhann Wani.

Villagers assembling for the funeral procession of slain Furhann Wani. KL Image by Mukhtar Zahoor

The killing of the militant sparked spontaneous shutdown in both the districts of Kulgam and Islamabad while a large number of people staged an anti-India protest in different parts of the district including the native village of the slain militant.

All the shops and business establishments remained shut while transport also remained off the roads.

The funeral of civilian Khalid Ahmed Dar. KL Image by Mukhtar Zahoor

Reports said that as the bodies of Furhan arrived in his villages, hundreds of youth hit roads and clashed with forces.

Witnesses said that youths pelted stones on forces who responded with teargas shelling. There were intense clashes between youth and protesters in Khudwani Ghat the native place of the slain militant.

Youth climbing on trees to watch the funeral procession of civilian Khalid Dar. KL Image by Mukhtar Zahoor

Forces used tear smoke shells and pellet guns resulting in the injuries the on spot death of a civilian identified as Khalid Ahmed Dar son of Abdul Salaam Dar resident of Khudwani Ghat.

An elderly woman weeping during the funeral procession of slain Furhann Wani. KL Image by Mukhtar Zahoor

Witnesses added that thousands of mourners participated in the last rites of the militant who was laid to rest amid pro-Islam and pro-freedom slogans.

In wake of protests, authorities suspended train services between Banihal and Srinagar. An official said that the services have been suspended for a day due to “law and order situation.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here