Ladakh Fills 1,340 Posts, Recruitment Begins For 1,500 More

   

SRINAGAR: The Ladakh administration has begun preparations for Panchayat elections, announced the withdrawal of cases against 25 people booked in connection with the September 24 incident and unveiled a major recruitment and land-regularisation drive, Chief Secretary Ashish Kundra said on Thursday.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

Addressing a press conference in Leh, Kundra said the State Election Commission would begin preparation and revision of electoral rolls for the Panchayat elections, followed by the statutory process leading to formal notification of the polls.

The announcement comes amid continuing political mobilisation in Ladakh over demands relating to constitutional safeguards, land, jobs and political representation.

Kundra said the administration was also working towards a formal meeting between the Ladakh Sub-Committee and the Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi by, or before, the second week of September.

He said a recent meeting had taken place in Leh between representatives of the Apex Body and the Kargil Democratic Alliance, including former LAHDC leadership, and representatives of the Home Ministry.

The proposed meeting in Delhi is expected to discuss the demands and expectations being raised by Ladakhi political and civil society groups and the broader framework being examined for the Union Territory.

On the September 24 incident, Kundra said cases against 25 people who were found to have had limited or no involvement would be withdrawn, with closure proceedings undertaken according to law.

He said charge sheets had been filed against nine people in cases where evidence was available and that those matters would continue before the competent courts.

The announcement comes alongside a substantial recruitment exercise in the Union Territory.

Of 1,609 posts advertised under the administrative recruitment process, 1,340 have already been filled, Kundra said. Another 314 vacancies have been filled through the Departmental Promotion Committee process.

Recruitment to 302 Group B and Group C posts has been advertised, while the process for around 1,205 additional posts is expected to be taken forward in the coming weeks.

The administration has also initiated recruitment to 40 Sub-Inspector posts, while notifications for Teachers and Police Constables are expected shortly.

For gazetted and professional positions, 224 vacancies have been notified through the UPSC process, including 125 Medical Officer posts. Interviews for the Medical Officer positions are expected to begin next month.

The administration is simultaneously filling positions in the education sector, including Lecturers, Assistant Professors and Associate Professors, with several appointments already completed and further recruitment planned in the coming months.

Kundra said Ladakh now has seven districts and that administrative infrastructure, manpower and institutional arrangements were being strengthened accordingly.

He said new tehsils had been created in place of 17 sub-tehsils in different areas, while requests from other areas for tehsil-level administrative arrangements would also be examined.

On land, the Chief Secretary announced a mechanism to allow eligible agricultural landowners to seek change of land use for permissible non-agricultural activities, including industrial and other productive purposes.

A dedicated portal is being developed to process applications through what the administration described as a transparent and accessible system.

The administration has also decided to regularise long-pending Nautor land tenancy rights, including cases involving unauthorised allotments.

Kundra said draft rules for a one-time regularisation process had been prepared and would authorise the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Councils to implement the process.

The draft guidelines will be placed in the public domain to invite suggestions and objections before they are finalised.

Importantly, eligible Nautor land already being used commercially—including for hotels, shops and other establishments—will also be eligible for conversion of title on payment of prescribed land-use charges and other applicable dues.

The move is expected to provide legal clarity to a large number of landholders while bringing existing land-use practices within a regulated framework.

The administration also announced measures aimed at supporting tourism and sports.

Kundra said tourism had been brought within the ambit of industrial units. Under a joint regulatory notification issued by the Power Department, registered hotels, guest houses, resorts and homestays will be charged electricity at industrial tariff rates.

The measure is intended to lower operating costs for the hospitality industry and support tourism and related economic activity.

For sportspersons, the administration reiterated the four per cent reservation for meritorious athletes and recognition of achievements at national and international levels. Kundra said the measures would be accompanied by efforts to improve sports infrastructure and create greater opportunities for young athletes.

The Chief Secretary also highlighted the administration’s efforts against drug abuse, praising the Police and Anti-Narcotics teams while calling for sustained enforcement and coordinated preventive measures to protect young people from substance abuse.

The announcements collectively point to an administration attempting to address Ladakh’s immediate governance gaps while simultaneously moving on politically sensitive issues involving elections, land rights and the ongoing dialogue with the Union government.

Kundra said the administration would continue to focus on transparent governance, timely implementation of reforms and engagement with people and stakeholders across Ladakh.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here