By: Nahid Khilji
1) Yoghurt – It is probiotic in nature. Yoghurt has friendly bacteria which strengthens our digestive system. Apart from this, it also boosts body’s immune system protecting the body from various types of infections. It is also rich in calcium which helps in strengthening our bones. However, one should have yoghurt without adding sugar. Adding a bowl of yoghurt for lunch along with your meal is a good option or using it as a smoothie without adding sugar.
2) Blueberries – It is a real super-food. It is high in fiber, vitamin C, antioxidant, potassium etc. The anti-oxidants in blueberries prevent people from cancer. Potassium in blueberries manages blood pressure and keeps it under control. It also protects people from getting heart disease, heart attack as it helps in keeping your lipid profile under control. It also prevents plaque formation in the arteries thereby maintaining good blood flow to the heart. Add a bowl of fresh berries in your diet.
3) Beans – They are plant based protein and also rich in iron, fiber and B-complex vitamins. It provides decent amount of protein to vegetarians maintaining a good protein status in the body. It also brings down cholesterol as it is high in fiber and protects heart. People who want to loose weight should include boiled beans daily in their diet.
4) Oatmeal – It’s time to add this superfood in our daily diet. It is a good breakfast option for everyone. It is rich in fiber which protects the heart and also helps in weight management. It is also good for diabetics and helps in managing blood sugar. People who suffer from constipation should include oats for breakfast.
5) Garlic – It is one of the widely used ingredient in Indian kitchen. It is known to reduce blood pressure thereby protecting heart. It is also used to treat high cholesterol. If a person suffers from any inflammatory condition, eating raw garlic can help in reducing the inflammation. It also helps in increasing insulin sensitivity which in turn can prevent diabetes.
6) Pineapple – It is rich in vitamin C and it also has a component called bromelain which helps in improving your immunity. It also protects heart as it is rich in antioxidant and keeps your heart healthy. It also strengthens your digestive system. Those who want to have a good and healthy skin, they should be adding this fruit in your diet.
7) Pomegranate – They help in maintaining heart health as it has certain polyphenols that protects you from various heart diseases. It also helps in reducing blood pressure. Pomegranate juice also provides a lot of anti-oxidant that protects your body from various oxidative damage also reducing stress levels.
8) Walnuts – It is a heart friendly nut. It is also good for brain health; it enhances cognitive and motor functioning in aging. It is also rich in antioxidants which protect the cells from free radical damage. It also improves lipid profile.
9) Green tea – It is packed with antioxidants which help from oxidative stress. It protects the heart, brain, and detoxifies the body. It improves physical performance and enhances and improves stress levels. It also protects body from various types of cancer. Add 2 cups of green tea in you tea daily.
10) Tomatoes – They are rich source of Vitamin A, C and folic acid. It known to reduce the risk of various types of cancer. It also affects blood pressure by reducing it as it is a good source of potassium which helps in lowering blood pressure. It also maintains skin health as it is rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants. It is also a good source of fiber which can benefit diabetics and those who suffer from constipation.
Note: Nahid Khilji is a qualified dietitian, health coach and a diabetic educator. Her writings are aimed to motive and guides people to have an holistic approach towards life. She can be reached at: [email protected]