Trump Calls Off Scheduled Iran Attack After Gulf Leaders Step In

   

SRINAGAR: US President Donald Trump said on Monday that the United States had planned a military strike on Iran for Tuesday but that the operation was halted following appeals from Gulf leaders as negotiations with Tehran continue.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

In a post on Truth Social, Trump stated that the planned attack had been scheduled for Tuesday but was paused after requests from the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

He said the leaders urged a delay in view of ongoing negotiations and the possibility of reaching a deal, adding that any agreement would include a commitment that Iran would not obtain nuclear weapons.

Trump also said he had directed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Daniel Caine, and the US military not to proceed with the operation for the time being, while instructing them to remain prepared for a possible large-scale strike if talks fail.

He added that the United States would halt the planned action “for now” in recognition of the positions of the Gulf leaders, but would respond if an acceptable agreement was not reached.

The announcement came after several days of heightened rhetoric and diplomatic activity, including a conversation between Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday, during which he warned Iran over the pace of negotiations.

Earlier, Trump had posted warnings on social media saying time was running out for Iran and suggesting severe consequences if progress was not made.

Meanwhile, reports cited by Fars News Agency indicated that Washington and Tehran remained divided over key conditions for a potential deal. The United States is said to be seeking restrictions on Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile, limits on nuclear facilities, and financial conditions involving frozen Iranian assets.

Iran, however, has reportedly demanded the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen assets, and an end to military actions in the region before any agreement proceeds.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here