Twin Kashmir Attacks: Farooq Seeks Probe, LG Says Security Grid Given A Free Hand

   

SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir’s most senior politician, Dr Farooq Abdullah is demanding probe in the twin attacks in Kashmir in which a former BJP worker was killed and a tourist couple was injured. LG Manoj Sinha has stated that the security grid has been given a free hand to bring the attackers to justice. The twin attacks in south Kashmir came on the eve of north Kashmir elections.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp
Lt Goverbnor, Manoj Sinha addressed the Republic Day gathering in Jammu in 2023.

“The Government has given a free hand to the Jammu and Kashmir Police and security forces to crush terrorists and their associates,” LG Sinha was quoted as having said. “I have complete faith in the bravery of our personnel, and the perpetrators of this attack will be punished soon. Our security forces will also hunt down those elements who are helping the terrorists and trying to disrupt Jammu and Kashmir’s developmental journey.”

The weekend attack left a former Sarpanch dead in Shopian and a tourist couple from Rajasthan injured in Pahalgam.

Sinha said Sarpanch Aijaz Ahmad Sheikh was an “exemplary grassroots leader”, who will be remembered for his selfless service to the people. “We stand in solidarity with the family at this difficult hour,” Sinha said.

Jammu and Kashmir’s five-time Chief Minister and National Conference president Dr Farooq Abdullah has called for a thorough investigation. He urged the Government of India to order a probe into the incidents, warning that if not, his party would invite an international committee to conduct an independent investigation.

“I have been repeatedly saying that those sitting in Delhi are misleading the people by saying Article 370 was responsible for terrorism,” Abdullah asked during a media interaction in Mendhar, Poonch district. “How many years have passed since the abrogation of the Article? Has terrorism stopped?”

Farooq criticised the government for failing to protect innocent lives and questioned the purpose of recent visits by Home Minister Amit Shah to Srinagar, implying political motives. Abdullah also called on Pakistan to stop supporting militancy in Jammu and Kashmir, suggesting that peace talks could only proceed once terrorist activities ceased.

Mehbooba Mufti, another former Chief Minister, who is contesting from South Kashmir, also questioned the government’s claims of normalcy in the region. “The timing of the attacks, given that the south Kashmir election was delayed without any reason, is a cause of concern,” Mufti stated, implying a possible connection between the electoral schedule and the recent violence.

The attacks have heightened security concerns ahead of the Lok Sabha elections in the region. Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Vijay Kumar and CRPF Inspector General Ganender Verma visited Pahalgam and Shopian to review the security situation. The Election Commission of India had already postponed the elections for the Anantnag-Rajouri seat from May 7 to May 25 following requests from the BJP and allied parties.

The attacked followed each other within minutes. The first attack took place in Shopian, where militants barged into the home of Aijaz Ahmad Sheikh, a former Sarpanch associated with the BJP, and shot him dead. According to police sources, the gunmen asked Sheikh for his identity before opening fire from point-blank range, hitting him with eight bullets in the chest and abdomen. Sheikh’s family and the local community were left in shock and mourning, with hundreds attending his funeral on Sunday morning.

Just minutes after the Shopian attack, a tourist couple from Rajasthan, Tabrez and his wife Farah, were shot at by militants in Pahalgam. The couple was part of a larger tourist group from Jaipur on a 10-day trip to Kashmir. The attack occurred as they were returning to their hotel. Tabrez was critically injured with a bullet wound that passed through his eye and nose, while Farah was hit in the shoulder. The couple’s 5-year-old twins, who were with them at the time, were unharmed but are in a state of shock.

The injured tourists are receiving medical treatment at the Army’s 92 base hospital in Srinagar after being refered from GMC, Anantnag where they were initially treated. Terming the attack “heinous” and “distressing”, Sinha said he has

already instructed the administrative and police officials to provide the best possible treatment to the injured couple. However, the family of the tourists is calling for immediate assistance from the state government to facilitate their travel to Kashmir to support their injured relatives.

Reports appearing in media suggest that the injured couple lives in Pathanon ka Chowk, Jaipur. Injured Tabrez’s father, Aslam Khan, has told reportesr that both his sons, their families, and fifty other locals were on a 10-day trip to Kashmir. Khan explained that the family was returning to the hotel at night. “Tabrez and Farah, along with their children, were walking behind when suddenly terrorists on a bike started shooting,” Khan was quoted as saying. “A bullet passed through my son’s eye and nose, while Farah was hit in the shoulder.”

Police have launched an investigation into both attacks.

Incidentally, Dr Farooq’s own rally had its share of disturbance in Poonch. Three Youth National Conference (NC) workers were injured when unidentified persons attacked them with knives in the rally at Mendhar town. In fact Dr Abdullah was speaking when the incident took place.

Reports said as the speech was going on at around 1.10 pm, two groups clashed in the last row of the rally Pandal. A group of youth fled leaving three youth injured in the knife attack. Police have registered a case FIR No 75/ 2024 and detained about half a dozen suspects.

The injured were identified as Sohail Ahmad, Yaseer Ahmad (residents of Harni) and Mohammad Imran of Kasblari village. While Sohail and Yaseer are being treated at Government Medical College (GMC) Hospital, Rajouri, Yaseer has been shifted to GMC Jammu for his serious damage to intestines. Senior NC leader Javed Rana termed the incident a “security lapse” and demanded immediate arrest of the culprits. He said it is very strange that people carrying knives managed to enter the rally venue.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here