SRINAGAR: In a swift inter-state operation, two Pakistani nationals who had escaped from a juvenile observation home in RS Pura sector of Jammu were rearrested by the Special Task Force (STF) in Ambala Cantonment on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after their dramatic flight.
The accused, identified as Ahsan Anwar of Nankana Sahib and Mohammad Sanaullah of Basti Jawewala in Pakistan’s Punjab province, were apprehended at Ambala Cantonment railway station and later handed over to Jammu and Kashmir Police. A third escapee, Karanjeet Singh alias Gugga, a local resident allegedly linked to a crime network, remains absconding.
According to STF Haryana SP Vikrant Bhushan, the arrests were made based on specific inputs from central agencies and Jammu and Kashmir Police. A team led by STF Ambala in-charge Prateek and DSP Aman Kumar tracked the duo after receiving intelligence that they were attempting to flee towards Uttar Pradesh and subsequently cross into Nepal to evade capture.
Investigations revealed that after escaping from the RS Pura juvenile home around 5.15 pm on Monday, the trio allegedly reached Ambala by bus with assistance from associates. Their plan was to facilitate an illegal exit from India via the Nepal border. However, the two Pakistani nationals were intercepted before they could proceed further.
The escape on Monday had triggered a massive security response in Jammu. Officials said the three inmates allegedly attacked on-duty police personnel with a country-made pistol before fleeing the facility. Two policemen — Head Constable Praveen Kumar and SPO Vinay Kumar — sustained injuries and were shifted to Government Medical College Jammu. Their condition was reported to be stable.
Police have registered FIR No. 39/2026 at RS Pura Police Station under sections 109, 132, 262, 307 and 111 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, along with sections 3 and 25 of the Arms Act, and launched an investigation into possible conspiracy and the procurement of the weapon inside the juvenile home.
In the aftermath of the breach, six police personnel, including an assistant sub-inspector, were placed under suspension for alleged dereliction of duty. The suspensions are part of a departmental inquiry to ascertain lapses in security and accountability for the escape.
Senior officers, including Director General of Police Nalin Prabhat and Inspector General Jammu Zone Bhim Sen Tuti, rushed to the spot on Monday evening to review the situation. Multiple teams have conducted raids at dozens of locations as the search for the third accused continues.
Officials said both Pakistani nationals had been detained in earlier years after crossing the international border and were lodged at the observation home following legal proceedings. The third inmate, Karanjeet Singh, was arrested in 2025 in connection with a murder case linked to an alleged organised crime group.
Police sources said further investigation is underway to examine all angles, including how the firearm was smuggled into the facility and whether there was any internal collusion.















