Army Orders Probe After IGNOU Professor Alleges Assault in Rajouri; Incident Sparks Outcry

   

SRINAGAR: The Army on Friday ordered a formal inquiry after Liyaqat Chowdary, an assistant professor with the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), accused its personnel of assaulting him during a vehicle check in the Lam area of Rajouri district in Jammu and Kashmir. The incident, which took place late on Thursday night, has triggered widespread condemnation and raised serious concerns over conduct during counter-terror operations, reports appearing in the media said.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

Chowdary, who was reportedly returning from Akhnoor to Lam with relatives after delivering furniture for his sister’s wedding, alleged that soldiers stopped their vehicle and, without provocation, physically assaulted him. A purported video that surfaced online shows the professor bleeding from the right side of his head, visibly shaken as police personnel arrive at the scene. Chowdary claimed he was struck multiple times with the butt of a rifle by a commanding officer, despite showing valid identification.

The professor expressed his anguish in a post on social media, stating that his trust in the army, an institution many of his own family members serve in, had been deeply shaken. “I’ve always been proud of the uniform. But today, what I experienced shook that pride to the core. I was hit on the head without reason by the very people I once trusted blindly,” he wrote, adding that the incident revealed “a terrifying truth” about the vulnerability of civilians.

Officials at Nowshera Police Station confirmed that an e-FIR has been registered under Sections 115(2) and 126(2) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, based on a complaint from Chowdary. Although no specific personnel have yet been named, the case marks a rare instance of civilian action against military personnel in a counterinsurgency zone.

In response, the Army acknowledged the incident and stated that it had intelligence inputs about possible militant movement in the region, prompting the checking operation. “Preliminary information suggests that on being stopped, the individual tried to snatch a weapon from the soldiers and initiated a scuffle,” the official statement said. However, it also confirmed that a probe had been initiated and assured that if misconduct is established, strict action will be taken as per the law.

The Army reiterated its commitment to professionalism and discipline, stating, “The Indian Army remains steadfast in upholding the highest standards of professionalism and discipline in counter-terror operations. All sections of society are requested to cooperate for the collective security of this sensitive area.”

The incident has since drawn political attention. Former Chief Minister and PDP President Mehbooba Mufti condemned what she described as a “merciless assault” on a civilian who was simply attending his sister’s wedding. “This shocking act has shattered a common man’s faith. I urge senior army personnel to take strict action against those responsible. Such individuals tarnish the reputation of a respected institution,” she wrote in a post on X.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here