Clashes, Protest, Shelling At Various Places Marks The Friday

KL Report


At least one dozen protestors, one SHO, half a dozen CRPF personnel received injuries on Friday during clashes between protestors and forces, official sources told KNS.

Protests demanding return of mortal remains of Mohammad Afzal Guru and Muhammad Maqbool Bhat were also held at various places in Valley. Authorities had imposed curfew and strict restrictions forcing people to remain confined to their homes.

Strict restrictions were put in place in civil lines area of Srinagar and movement of people was restricted forcing them to stay indoors. Down town areas were put under strict curfew and all entry and exit points in sensitive areas had been sealed with barricades and concertina wire.

Reports of protests amid clashes between protestors were received from Kupwara and Langate in north Kashmir with forces resorting to lathi charge and tear smoke shelling to disperse the protestors and stone peltors.

Peaceful protests were reported from Natnoosa Langate, Kralpora, lalpora, Trehgam and  Rafiaabad.

Clashes erupted between agitated youth and forces at Langate in which half dozen protestors Including SHO Handwara Shakeel Ahamd and one dozen policemen got injured.

Clashes between protestors and forces were going on till late evening at Cement and Chahttipadshai Bridges in Baramullah.

Chinkipora and Patapora Sopore were under strict restrictions and witnessed stone pelting incidents. Sangrama and Dalina remained calm with authorities having imposed strict curfew in these localities.

Nocturnal raids of Police to arrest youth Hilal Ahmad Parray and Khursheed Ahamd Mir sparked early morning protests. While in morning people also came on roads and held protest demonstrations demanding immediate release of these youth. It resulted in clashes between protestors and forces. Police used teargas shelling to disperse protestors. Naidkahai also witnessed minor incidents of stone pelting.

Pulwama and Kakapora towns in south Kashmir remained under curfew. People at Muran Chowk and Rajpora observed protest demonstrations against the arrest of local youth Asraarullah of Dangerpora Pulwama.

Anantnag, Kulgam, Bijbehra, Qaimoh also remained under strict curfew.

Minor clashes between stone-pelting mobs and police were also reported from other places.

Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Asgar Samoon told KNS the situation across the Valley remained largely peaceful and under control. “No curfew will be imposed on Saturday. But restrictions will be put in place in downtown area”, he added.

Pertinently, situation went tense after a civilian; Altaf Ahmad Wani of Saidapora was killed by CRPF personnel in allegedly unprovoked firing. Meanwhile, various separatist leaders and mainstream parties had condemned the killing of wani and demanded impartial probe.  National Conference while condemning the killing of Wani had said that he (Wani) was active worker of NC and was never the part of any protest or stone pelting


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here