Govt Order Of Releasing Prisoners A ‘Joke’: Geelani


KL Report

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp


Terming the government decision of releasing few detainees a “joke” Chairman Hurriyat Conference (G) Syed Ali Geelani  Saturday demanded release of all prisoners on the eve of Eid-ul-Fitr. He said that 574 Kashmiri youth are languishing in local and other prisons of India without constitutional justification, the majority of which are not being released and are subjected to political vengeance.

In a statement issued to GNS, Geelani said that 50 political prisoners who since last five to ten years have been in prisons have been sentenced for life imprisonment.

“Muhammad Shabir, Raj Deen and three other pro-freedom youth from Kathua and Jammu have been awarded death sentences, while ignoring all norms,” Geelani said, adding that Masarat Alam Butt, Mir Hafiz Ullah, Mushtaq-ul-Islam, Mohammad Rafiq Ganai, Shakeel Ahmad Bhat, Fayaz Ahmad, Nasser Abdullah, Nisar Ahmad Bhat and Shabir Ahmed Wani were booked five to nine times repeatedly under PSA for the same allegations.

Geelani said that those sentenced for life imprisonment include Dr Mohammad Qasim Faktoo, Ghulam Qadir Bhat, Dr Mohammad Shafi Khan, Mohammad Ayub Dar, Mohammad Ayoub Mir, Nazir Ahmad Sheikh, Mohammad Amin Dar, Mohammad Sayeed Butt, Fayaz Ahmed Tantray, Noor Mohammad, Mohammad Amin Wani, Engineer Farooq Ahmad, Mohammad Ishaq Palla, Shabir Ahmad Bhat, Mushtaq Ahmed Malla, Feroz Ahmad Bhat and Javiad Ahmad Khan.

“The pro-freedom personalities logged in Tihar jail include Tehreek e Hurriyat leader Ghulam Mohammad Bhat and others including Dr Tariq Ahmed Dar, Mohammad Amin Shah, Mohammad Hussain, Abdul Majid Magray and Farooq Ahmad Daga.

Hurriyat Chairman said that Kashmir is a political issue and figures among the states declared as conflict zones. “And, as a matter of fact, all those people related to this conflict are to be treated in the category of political prisoners,” he said, adding that according to international law, the sentences awarded are not justified.

Geelani while demanding the immediate release of all detainees said it has been proved that Omar Abdullah leads a most weak and incompetent administration. “Till date, he is not able to release even a single prisoner and all the matters are being dealt by Home ministry of India.”

Referring to the statement of SSP Srinagar wherein he had said that 15 per cent of youth have been arrested and police is looking for remaining 85 per cent, Geelani said it is ironical that on one hand, the announcement with respect to a few prisoners are being announced and on the other, same time a fresh arrest drive has been started by Kashmir police. “Authorities have imposed martial law like restrictions.”

Meanwhile Geelani expressed his concern and grief against the use of pellet gun and expressed his sympathy with injured youth. He said that administration is responsible for creating chaos and there is no justification of deployment of heavy contingent of CRPF and police. He stressed upon Human Rights organizations to take notice of this serious situation and take steps to protect precious human lives and fulfill their responsibilities.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here