SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday said he is ready to step aside if the restoration of statehood depends on having a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Chief Minister in the Union Territory. He urged the central government to clarify its position on the issue.

Omar said the Centre must state clearly whether statehood will be restored only under a BJP-led government in JK. “If statehood needs a BJP CM, I’ll step aside. At least the people of Jammu and Kashmir will get back their statehood,” he said.
Omar said his government is committed to fulfilling the promises made during its five-year term. He added that expectations must be aligned with democratic timelines. “The mandate is not for five weeks or five months. It is for a full term,” he said.
He also said that electricity supply has improved compared to last year and that key infrastructure projects are progressing. “Only yesterday, we approved a Rs 10,600 crore package for road and tunnel connectivity,” he added.
Responding to a recent remark by Muzaffar Hussain Baigh that he should resign if unable to deliver, Omar said, “Why should I resign? Did anyone resign in 2016 when people were dying? At that time, we were hearing about milk and toffees. No apology was ever made.”
He said his government has not violated its mandate. “Did you expect that the Assembly would pass a resolution for special status? You didn’t. But we did it,” he said.
On the reservation issue, Omar said the matter has been referred to the law department for legal examination. “We want to ensure no cabinet decision is blocked in court. That’s why we have followed due process,” he said.
He said the sub-committee on reservation completed its work faster than expected. “Many thought it would take six years, but the committee submitted its report quickly. This issue was not created by me, but I am trying to address it,” he said.
Omar also criticised PDP leaders for their silence when the reservation quota was being increased. “Where was Mehbooba Mufti’s voice then? Where was Sajjad Lone’s voice? They were busy looking for government houses and security,” he said.
He added that PDP leaders avoided commenting on the issue during the election period to preserve vote banks. “They wanted both Pahari and Gujjar votes in Rajouri-Poonch. So they told their candidates not to speak on reservation. Now, after losing the elections, they are raising their voices,” he said.
He confirmed that the cabinet will take a final call on the reservation matter once the legal review is complete. “We are not touching the portion of reservation that falls under Parliament. But we will act on the portion within our jurisdiction,” he said.
Omar said the government will avoid taking steps that could face legal hurdles later. “We want decisions that are legally sound and in the interest of the people,” he added. (KNS)















