#Day39: Many Persons Killed In Beerwah, Toll Crosses 60



At least three  more persons are reported to have been killed in Aripanthan village near Beerwah in fresh clashes between protesters and the forces. Reports said some of the injured are critical. Police in Srinagar confirmed teh killings.

The killings have triggered a serious crisis in the entire belt especially on the Magam-Beerwah corridor. Locals said actually four persons were killed but police did not confirm.

Reports reaching from Beerwah said the tensions started Monday afternoon when protesters attacked a small cavalcade of some civil administration officers who were on way home to Srinagar after the August 15 function at Beerwah. Their security detail opened pellet guns in which nearly 30 persons were injured.

Later last night, the entire belt of three villages including Aripanthan witnessed night raids by the army and other forces. Locals alleged that they broke their windows and beat the residents.

This triggered a reaction and the people were seen dominating the roads on Tuesday. It was at the peak of these protests that army and CRPF was seen moving towards the village. Locals said forces responded to stone pelting by opening fire. Six to seven persons are injured.

Of the injured at least three persons are reported dead. One of them was rushed to hospital in Srinagar where he has expired.

Witnesses in Beerwah said that one of the slain identified as Javed Ahmad who was brought to town for funeral prayers. After around 7000 people offered the prayers, they took the body in a procession towards Aripanthan.

“There were intense protests last night,” a local said, “and army opened indiscriminate fire.”

This, the local said, resulted in injuries to many persons.

Police in Srinagar confirmed death of three protester. The officer said some more are seriously injured. He identified the three slain as Javed Ahmad Najar,Manzoor Ahmad Lone, and Mohammad Ashraf Bhat. The former two are from Aripanthan and the latter one from Hazarpora.

In Srinagar, a class tenth was killed when CRPF personnel manning Batamaloo roads opened fire on Monday evening. “First they fired pellets,” an eye witness said, “then they targeted a tenth class student, Yasir.”

Yasir died on way to SMHS Hospital Srinagar. His killing triggered a chain reaction with people holding protest till late mid-night. “Our area witnessing intense sloganeering till 2 AM,” a resident of Bemina said.

Besides, a youth who was hit by multiple pellets succumbed to his injuries in SKIMS Soura. He was identified as Ishfaq Ahmad of Tangmarg.

Kashmir is witnessing a renewed uprising since July 09, 2016 and over 62 persons were killed in last 39 days while over 7000 persons have been injured.

Reports coming from South Kashmir’s Bijbehara area said that a youth was critically injured when he was hit by a tear gas shell.

Police sources added that at least 6 protesters were injured when army resorted to intense lathi-chare in Larkipora area of Dooru.

“19 RR based in Larkipora beat people indiscriminately and then resorted to aerial firing,” locals said, “now, over 10000 people have assembled and are marching towards the army camp.”

From North Kashmir’s Palhallan said that a fourth standard student was arrested by SOG last evening.

In summer capital, when Kashmir roads were being manned by multiple layers of security grid, an “encounter” ensued in Srinagar’s Nowhatta area which houses historic Jamia Masjid.

Forces said that the encounter lasted for more than five hours resulting in death of two suspected militants and one CRPF commandant. Seven more CRPF personnel were injured.

The Nowhatta encounter followed complete clampdown of Lal Chowk and its adjacent area when forces were deployed in huge numbers since August 12 evening.

The united separatist leadership had called for “referendum march” on August 13 and 14 to Lal Chowk.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here