Suspect Sketches Released as Forces Launch Massive Hunt in Baisaran After Pahalgam Attack

   

SRINAGAR: Following the militant attack near Pahalgam that claimed 26 lives, security forces have launched one of the largest search operations in recent times in the Baisaran valley of south Kashmir.

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp
Jammu Kashmi Health Minister, Sakina Ittoo visited injured in the Pahalgam hospital after a deadly militant attack in which more than 26 visitors were killed on April 22, 2025

Baisaran, often referred to as Kashmir’s ‘mini-Switzerland’ due to its landscape, has now been transformed into a high-security zone. Multiple layers of security personnel are patrolling the area. The Army, supported by radar systems, drones, and helicopters, is conducting a thorough search of the vast forested and mountainous terrain to locate the attackers.

“All entry and exit points to Baisaran have been sealed. A high-tech operation is underway, with aerial and ground surveillance working in tandem,” defence sources said.

As part of the investigation, security agencies have released sketches of three suspected militants believed to be involved in the attack. The suspects—identified as Asif Fauji, Suleman Shah, and Abu Talha—are also known by the aliases Moosa, Yunus, and Asif. They were allegedly linked to previous militancy-related activities in the Poonch sector.

They are seen armed with three AK rifles and an M4 rifle. All of them, agencies said, are linked to Lashkar-e-Toiba and at least two are believed to be foreigners. As the nation struggles to cope with the tragedy, security agencies are going all-out to track down the terrorists and unearth the ruthless plan behind this attack, NDTV reported.

The Resistance Front, a proxy of the banned Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), has claimed responsibility for yesterday’s attack. Union Home Minister Amit Shah has rushed to Kashmir and reviewed the situation with Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.

The sketches were developed based on eyewitness accounts and statements from survivors, several of whom reported seeing the attackers shortly before the incident. Authorities hope the release of these images will lead to public tips and aid in narrowing the search.

Officials believe the suspects may still be hiding in the dense forests or rugged terrain of the area. Although no encounters have been reported so far, the combing operation is ongoing around the clock.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was in Saudi Arabia, cut short his trip and rushed back. Earlier, the Prime Minister condemned the terror attack and said all assistance is being provided to those affected. “Those behind this heinous act will be brought to justice…they will not be spared! Their evil agenda will never succeed. Our resolve to fight terrorism is unshakable and it will get even stronger,” he said.

Home Minister Shah today paid tribute to those killed before their bodies were flown home. “With a heavy heart, paid last respects to the deceased of the Pahalgam terror attack. Bharat will not bend to terror. The culprits of this dastardly terror attack will not be spared,” he said in a post on X. (With KNT Inputs)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here