In 1830 A D, Budgam was a tehsil known as “Tehsil-e-Sri Partap Singh Pora” and formed part of Wazarat-e-Shumali in District Baramulla. It later became part of District Srinagar. The State Government in the year 1979 elevated Budgam to the District status.
Budgam is surrounded by Districts Baramulla, Poonch, Srinagar, Pulwama and newly created District Shopian. At the time of its formation, more than two and a half decades ago, it comprised three tehsils namely Budgam, Beerwa and Chadoora.
In August 2005, State Government ordered creation of three more tehsils – Charari-Sharif, Khag and Khan Sahib – bringing the total number of tehsils in district Budgam to six. The Government further ordered that Khag and Khan Sahib tehsils will be coterminous with their respective CD Blocks.
The District is spread over 1371 sq. kms and has a total population of 6.29 lacs (according to 2001 census). It has a mixed topography – hilly as well as plain. The total cultivable area is 57,000 hectares out of which 35,000 hectares are irrigated.
Budgam has 115 Patwar Halqas comprising 509 villages with 8 CD and NES Blocks and 191 Panchayats.
District Budgam is known for a number of things. Charar-i-Sharief, the abode of the tomb of one of the most revered Kashmiri saints Sheikh Nooru-din-e-Noorani, popularly known as Nund Reshi or Alamdar-e-Kashmir, is one of the major towns of this District. The history says that the ancestors of Nund Reshi came from Kishtwar. Another important shrine is that at Pakherpora, a village near Charari-Sharif.
The great sofi poets Shamas Faqir and Samad Mir were from Shamas Abad and Nambalhar, respectively, two villages in Tehsil Khan Sahib. Renowned revolutionary poet Abdul Ahad Azad was from Rangar village of Tehsil Chadoora.
Famous tourist resort of Yousmarg is also situated in this District. The lush green meadows of Tosha Maidan with thick forests surrounding, are just about 10 kms from Khag. Tosha Maidan separates this District from District Poonch. Khag area abounds in water springs – about 50 in number – out of which 30 are stated to be perennial. The area is traversed by a number of murmuring streams which are tributaries of river Jehlum.
Budgam is an admixture of two Kashmiri words “Bud” (meaning “Big”) and “Gam” (meaning “Village”) and the legend goes that once upon a time Budgam was a very prosperous and densely populated township and therefore the name “Budgam”.
Srinagar Airport is also located on a hill top in this district. The main train station of Kashmir is located at Nowgam, Budgam.
The district has got great potential for economic development, as it has emerged as a hub of activities connected with the increase in tourism and commerce. In particular the period after 1979 has seen tremendous economic development resulting in large scale migration of middle and upper middle class rural population from other districts into Srinagar city. The city has thus expanded on all sides, maximum penetration being on Budgam side. This has even necessitated Srinagar Municipal Corporation to extend its limits into certain areas of District Budgam.