Kashmir: A Bloody Week

   

Last week, Jammu Kashmir echoed its violent past; beginning with the targeted killing of a former soldier, followed by a tragic suicide linked to alleged custodial torture, and culminating in a controversial shootout involving the army, reports Humaira Nabi

Follow Us OnG-News | Whatsapp

For a moment, it seemed the past was the new present. Unlike the past, what made the last week haunting to many was a 9.45-minute video showing a frail young man in a blue jacket, his eyes swollen with despair. Tragically these were the last 10 minutes of his life.

The man in the video was Makhan Din, 26, with a copy of the Quran on his head, his hands trembling as he swore upon God and His Prophet. His voice choked with emotion, he pleaded his innocence, vehemently denying any links to militancy.

Makhan had been detained by the Jammu Kashmir Police a few days earlier and was released on February 6, 2024, evening with instructions to retrieve a mobile phone from his home allegedly used to communicate with militants. It remains unclear whether any police personnel accompanied him for this so-called recovery but the public narrative suggests he was all alone. The scene of the recording was the village mosque in Kathua.

Home Minister Amit Shah reviewed the security of Jammu and Kashmir in a high-level meeting on February 5, 2025.

During his interrogation, Makhan said on the video, that he had confessed to having seen militants and communicated with them using multiple phone numbers. He said he did all this in duress as it sounded the only way out.

“I made up the story to escape their beatings and gave them false numbers,” he said. “Now, they have asked me to produce the phone I supposedly used to receive calls, but I cannot because no such calls ever happened. Fearing more torture and trouble for my family, I am ending my life.”

He paused, his voice breaking. “I am not under pressure from the army, police, or any villager. I take this step, though my religion forbids it, because of the suffering inflicted on my family and neighbours. I know nothing.”

As the video neared its end, Makhan held up a small polythene bag, revealing a packet of insecticide. With trembling hands, he unwrapped it and consumed the poison. Though he was rushed to the hospital, he did not survive.

Militancy and Crackdowns

Makhan’s death comes against the backdrop of heightened tensions in the region. Kathua has been making headlines since July 2025, following a deadly attack on an Army convoy that left five soldiers dead. Officials later confirmed that the ambush was carried out by a highly trained and well-armed group, reflecting a broader shift in militant activity from the Kashmir to the Jammu region, particularly across the Pir Panjal range.

Makhan Din (Kathua)

Intelligence reports at the time indicated that sophisticated weapons were being smuggled into Kashmir. These included US-made M4 carbine assault rifles, capable of firing 700–970 steel-core rounds per minute, said to be part of a huge American arsenal that they left in Afghanistan before fleeing the war-torn country. In response, security forces launched extensive crackdowns across the region, leading to multiple arrests, including individuals from Makhan’s village.

A resident of Sali hamlet in Billawar, Makhan was detained along with his father Murid on February 5. After spending the night with police, during which both Murid and his son (on video) alleged torture, he was asked to fetch his cell phone. He went home, Murid told reporters later and headed towards the mosque where he recorded the video and consumed poison.

Makhan’s death also echoes a similar incident less than two years ago. On April 27, 2023, Mukhtar Hussain Shah, 50, a resident of Nar village in Poonch, took his own life after being called for questioning in connection with a militant attack. Allegedly, he too consumed poison, unable to bear the ordeal.

Outrage and Calls for Justice 

Makhan’s suicide has triggered protests in Kathua, leading to an internet shutdown. Reports indicate that residents were barred from attending his last rites, as they were restricted from leaving their village. The villagers have called the incident a “custodial killing.”

Waseem Majid Mir (Bomai Sopore)

The alleged killing has sparked a flurry of condemnations from civil society and the opposition in Jammu and Kashmir. PDP president, Mehbooba Mufti, led the call for justice for the tribal youth. In a post on X, Mufti claimed that Makhan was “subjected to brutal thrashing and torture” and “forced into a confession,” which compelled him to take his own life.

“The area has been sealed off, and internet services have been cut, leading to widespread panic,” she said. “There is an ongoing crackdown, with more individuals being picked up. This incident appears to follow a troubling pattern of targeting innocent youths on fabricated charges.” Mufti urged the director general of Jammu and Kashmir police to order a probe into the matter.

A Magisterial Inquiry 

Given the crisis that the video triggered, the District Magistrate Kathua, Rakesh Minhas has ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident. Anil Kumar (JKAS), Tehsildar of Lohai Malhar was appointed as the inquiry magistrate and given five days to submit a detailed report.

Police have denied any wrongdoing asserting his body lacked any torture mark. They argue that Makhan was a closer relative of Swar Din, a Pakistan-based militant, who was allegedly responsible for the Badnota Army convoy attack in July 2024, in which four soldiers were killed. Later the same group was responsible for killing head constable Bashir Ahmed in 2024. However, the police have appointed a DIG rank officer to investigate the case and report within 10 days.

A Trucker Killed

Jammu Kashmir was still trying to manage the video shock that a truck driver in Baramulla was killed in another incident, said to be a long chase by the army. Waseem Majeed Mir, 27, son of Abdul Majeed Mir and a resident of Goripora Darpora Bomai in Sopore, was fatally shot by the army after allegedly failing to stop at a checkpoint. He was rushed to Government Medical College Baramulla, where doctors pronounced him dead on arrival.

Within hours after the shooting, the army issued a statement on X. They talked about a “very specific intelligence input” about the “move of terrorists” as a result of which a Mobile Vehicle Check Post (MVCP) was established. “One speeding suspicious civil truck was spotted. When challenged, the truck didn’t stop despite repeated warnings instead accelerated further while crossing the check post,” the statement said. “Alert troops pursued the vehicle for over 23 km. Shots were fired aiming on tyres to deflate which forced the vehicle to halt at Sangrama Chowk. Consequent to detailed search, the injured driver was immediately evacuated to GMC Baramulla by Security Forces where he was declared dead.”

Wasim’s relatives disputed the version of events. “He was stopped at the Sangrama checkpoint and shot multiple times,” a family member said. “Even the inside of the driver’s cabin was riddled with bullets. There are over 200 shots on the vehicle.”

The elder son in his family, Waseem was on his way to Kolkata with over 800 boxes of apples. Authorities have initiated a post-mortem to establish the exact cause of death, while police have registered an FIR at Baramulla Police Station and seized the truck for further investigation.

His cousin, Abdul Rashid, told The Indian Express that Waseem had left home at 10 pm on February 5, with a truckload of apples. Hours later, his co-driver called the family with devastating news.

Demanding accountability, Rashid questioned the military’s claims. “The Army says the chase lasted 23 km, but the SP told us it was 35 km. How is that possible when the distance between his home and the incident site is under 16 km?,” he asked. “And if he was headed to Srinagar, why was the truck found facing Baramulla? His clothes were covered in dirt—was he beaten or tortured before being shot?”

“If the Army is telling the truth, let them release the CCTV footage,” he said. “Every security vehicle is equipped with cameras. They claim they chased him for 23 km, yet there are multiple security camps along this stretch, each with surveillance cameras. Why not show the footage and settle this?”

Outrage

The killing has sparked widespread condemnation. PDP leader Iltija Mufti called the incident “shocking,” while Apni Party leader Altaf Bukhari demanded an independent probe.

“After the killing of a civilian in Kathua, another civilian from Sopore has been shot dead by the Army,” Mufti wrote on X. “How strange that after chasing the truck for over 23 km, they claim to have fired at the tyres but somehow misfired and hit him instead. Are Kashmiri lives so cheap? How long will this unbridled impunity continue?”

Wasim’s family remains unconvinced and continues to demand the release of CCTV footage to establish the truth about his killing.

Ex-Soldier Shot Dead

Wasim’s was the third killing in the week. It started with 2025’s first targeted killing of a non-combatant, as militants shot dead a former serviceman and injured his wife and teenage niece in Beehibagh (Kulgam) district on February 3, 2025.

Two armed youths, carrying pistols, stormed the residence of Manzoor Ahmad Wagay in Beehi Bagh, located in the rare of the area’s major garrison, and opened fire, wounding his wife and 13-year-old niece. Manzoor, a former Territorial Army soldier, had retired in 2021 and had taken up livestock rearing. He succumbed to his injuries before he could receive medical aid.

This attack came just over a month after the security grid killed five militants in an operation in the Kadder area, barely a few km from Beehibagh. Among them was Farooq Ahmed Bhat, a commander of banned Hizbul Mujahideen outfit.

The attack triggered a sweeping crackdown across Kashmir. The security grid reportedly detained more than 500 people in an attempt to dismantle militant networks and prevent further attacks. “We have launched a massive operation in the valley to identify and apprehend those linked to the terror network,” a senior police officer was quoted as saying. “More than 500 suspects have been taken in for questioning.”

Lt Governor Manoj Sinha, who remained silent on recent incidents in Sopore and Kathua, strongly condemned Manzoor’s killing. “I strongly condemn the heinous terrorist attack on Manzoor Ahmad Wagay and his family in Kulgam. The entire nation stands in solidarity with the bereaved family in this hour of grief,” he said.

Former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah also expressed sorrow. “I am deeply saddened by the tragic killing of ex-serviceman Manzoor Ahmad Wagay Sahab in Kulgam. My heartfelt condolences to his family and prayers for the swift recovery of his injured wife and daughter,” he wrote on social media.

New Crisis for Omar

Omar’s adviser Nasir Sogami told reporters that the questions about killings should be addressed to the LG office. “When there is any security review meeting or security-related matters, the elected government is not taken into confidence,” Nasir said, asserting the elected government does not know about the ground facts and briefings done in security-related meetings as the CM is not taken on board. “When we are not involved in this matter, nor are we involved in decision-making and in implementing security-related decisions on the ground then what should we answer for.”

This, however, may not be a plausible response for all. That is perhaps why Omar’s government decided to conduct a ministerial inquiry into these incidents. “We will go to the best of our ability. We will find out the culprits,” he said on the Billawar suicide.

In Delhi MP Agha Ruhullah addressed a news conference, terming the situation serious. He said the situation deteriorated soon after the Home Minister presided over a security review meeting in which the elected government was not in the loop.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here